Monday, April 10, 2006

2006 Route Plan

I have made motel reservations because we need handicap access room, on the ground floor, with easy parking and entry. We like a king or 2 queen beds. I also look for inns that give the military rate to retired military leisure traveling. I found the Best Westerns, Choice Motels, Country Inn and Suites and most Holiday Inns give this rate. LaQuinta, Hampton Inn, and Red Roof Inns do not give this rate. I look for inns that can be canceled up to day of arrival and do not take a deposit, to give us some flexibility.

We have heard that lodging is hard to find because of the oil and gas drilling, esp. on the Ak highway. We ran into this problem in Vernal, Utah last year!

Also, I am the only driver and navigator and cell phone user. Jerry has had 2 detached retinas and is not comfortable driving. He can not read a map, find road signs, or use a cell phone!! esp without an argument!! I need to know the route and where the overnights are located. He can not get out of the car very easily and can not walk very far. We will have his power wheel chair IN the back of the car. (not much room for luggage).

I will report on this blog on our travels, sights, places of interest and pictures. What a learning experience and fun this will be. I am also including some chiropractor visits (lots of siting and driving) and massages!! Tender loving care will help, too. Jerry will not give in to having a massage - he can suffer if he wishes.

This is the first phase to Biscmarck, ND.

Deltona to Dawson Creek (start of Alaska Hwy) – 3200 miles 17 days.

Leave Tuesday, May 23.

Day 1, Tuesday, May 23 –Marianna, FL 309 miles.
I10, exit 142, Hwy 71 N.
Country Inn and Suites

Day 2, Wednesday, May 24- Cullman, AL 292 miles.
I65, exit 310, Hwy 157, west, then left
Super 8
Visit Ave Maria Grotto.

Day 3, Thursday, May 25- Cadez, KY 218 miles.
I24 exit 65, Hwy 80 west
Holiday Inn
Visit Gilda and Jim Gill

Day 4, Friday, May 26- Effingham, IL 225 miles.
Visit Metropolis (Superman and Big John) enroute.
I57/70, exit160 west, onto 32/33 right on CR1550N
Country Inn and Suites

Day 5, Saturday, May 27-Rochelle, IL 230 miles.
I39, exit99, W on Hwy 38, by Petro Travel Plaza
Rochelle Express Inn (formerly Holiday Inn).

Day 6, Sunday, May 28- EauClaire, WI 262 miles.
I94, exit 70
Country Inn and Suites
Eat at Burnstads Amish, exit 143, hwy 21 (Tomah, WI)
Enroute - 187miles, then 78 to EauClaire.
Carson Park (train), Chippewa Valley Museum, Paul Bunyon
Logging Camp.

Day 7, Monday, May 29- Alexandria, MN 226 miles.
MEMORIAL DAY
I94, exit 103, MN29S
Country Inn and Suites
Runestone Museum, Big Ole, Museum closed memorial day!


Day 8, Tuesday, May 30- Jamestown, ND 197 miles.
Comfort Inn
I-94, exit256 N
Frontier Village and Buffalo Head Museum (white cloud bison)

Day 9, Wednesday, May 31- Bismarck, ND 100 miles.
I94, exit159 N
Country Inn and Suites
Mandan - Ft Lincoln SP, Custer house,
ND state capitol, ND Heritage Center
Washburn – L&C Interpretive Center


JUNE

Day 10, Thursday, June 1 – Bismarck, ND 0 miles.
Same

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?